Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Wow! I am so happy it's Wednesday and I am at home. But I have a home that's been ignored for 6 days...4 of which I volunteered at the huge Scholastic Book Warehouse in Strongsville...an hour away. I cannot tell you what fun this volunteering is for me but I'll give you a list of why. Here are my "gets":
1. I get to leave home and have no communication with computers, chores, familiar people
2. I get to work in this huge warehouse, filled from top to bottom, literally, with books...from preschoolers to adults.
3. I get to enjoy meeting the other volunteers as well as the people who come to shop.
4. I get to drive one hour, one way and listen to Harry Potter 7 on CDs.
5. I get paid with a voucher which is a dollar amount I can spend on books from anywhere in that warehouse.
6. I get to come home at the end of the day, tired and happy, and thoroughly in an understanding mode of why we moms are encouraged, when possible to stay home. Why in the world, except for moments of need, would a young mom choose to work outside the home...come home and have to face laundry, chores, dinner, dishes, etc. They might be more organized than me (remember...I'm old and slow these days) but they sure have lives that create more havoc than peace.
7. I get to rush in and greet Robert with hugs/kisses/appreciation for his allowing me the privilege and blessing of having been able to stay home all these years.
So, now it's time to hustle back to the chores I left undone and finish decorating and plan a really good rotisserie chicken..the cluck of which is still thawing in the sink. But when all the NEEDS are done,
8. I get to go upstairs and sort through all my treasures...putting them in the appropriate family boxes...to await the moment they will be handed or mailed out to 10 of the most wonderful grandkids on the face of the earth.
And by the way, Happy Birthday Hillary...a great and my only Daughter-In-Law.