Thursday, August 25, 2016

Our trip to Livermore, CA and M2T2

This is the moon reflection on Half Moon Bay.
Teri picked us up and took us to the airport.  We flew into SFO on August 17 after about a 7 hour delay in Cleveland, Frontier of course.  It is a cheaper airlines and very affordable but the stories from the passengers are always filled with craziness.  At least this time the airlines figured out that when an airplane has issues, they bumped the people on the next flight and give the plane to us.  The rest of the flight was uneventful. We did get food vouchers so we had food...just hours and hours of waiting.  Hank picked us up and it was so good to see him and them all.

This sign met us as we walked in....They missed us and they have no idea how much we miss them every day.  Sad how much grandkids make the grandparents life!

We took things easy when we first awoke but then we hit a park.  It was a lovely park for sure. At one point, I lay on a 'hammock' that was warmed from the sun and really could have just stayed there for hours enjoying the warmth on my back from the plastic and the sun on my face.  I didn't tho.

While in the car we learned from Oskar that a fart is clear.  Funny boy

Handsome grown up in so many ways.

And adorable Simon loves to say STOP! when he wants you to stop talking.
One of the best part of this morning was getting in to see Marissa's chiropractor.  He uncrinked us in a matter of minutes.  He even unlocked my left ankle and foot.

We visited Carnegie Square for a Farmer's Market.  It was so very hot but i noticed the art and history museum.  We went inside just to get some coolness and they had very old office machines that children were able to play on.

Friday we were able to go visit Henry's school.  He is in the same building he was last year as TK, right next door, actually.  He has a wonderful teacher, sweet as could be.  The kids loved playing on the playground.

Saturday Robert built a 'bowling lane" for Henry and they had a fun time

But the best part of Saturday was Marissa asked me to go with her to JOANN FABRICS to buy the material to make Mr. Rickety Rack.  I had made these guys back with the kids were young.  And one for my mom.  Jordan and Jocelyn each got them when I got rid of them. Dawn wanted one and so did Marissa so Dawn found a pattern on eBay and then copied off the pieces for Marissa and Cara.  

We got all we needed but then Marissa found some Dr. Who fabric and decided to make Henry a quilt for his birthday.  I was just SO jazzed to have Marissa actually want me to take her to the fabric store. This girl can figure out how to do everything.  

Even Henry wanted to learn how to sew. No time like this....He's going to be able to do everything.

He was completed and I also finished a panel for them which I had brought from home.  And I guess I didn't realize that it glowed in the dark!  Marissa came out with it at night as she had just gone to bed and discovered it glowing!

Sunday was church.  Breakfast first.  Enough sugar, don't you think?  Marissa has a ward filled with the kindest talking women I've ever heard talk.  Maybe that's how they grow 'em in California.
Naturally Marissa needed a pianist for Primary and naturally Robert was just so willing to play.  Me? I lasted 1 hour in their and then ran to Relief Society, grateful to all the people who CAN do Primary so well, and for so long.

Breakfast before school on Monday.  Loved how the boys were both eating while resting the other hand on Robert's arm.

Monday was Henry's first day of Kindergarten. He was all set with his lunch box and snack container.  He is adorable.  Of course there was family pictures, minus Hank of course who was in Australia.  Sadly.

Walking to school, we pass Oskar's favorite tree and so we have to cross the street to talk to Cowan
the tree

Henry has his R2D2 lunch box as well as a snack container. He was so ready for school.
Walking down the cut through

Outside the fenced area.
All the children play on the playgrounds til the bell rings and then everyone and their parents line up by their classroom doors.

                                                    Oskar was great on the parallel bars.

                                   Henry on the hand over hand bars proved he is very strong 

 Oskar down the slide
                                                     And Henry follows right after him....

                           Hanging up his backpack unusual for those of us in Ohio..

Henry's cubby

The teacher greeted each child and put on a special name tag for the first few days.

After we saw Henry off we waited til noon and then drove out to Modesto to meet up with Debi and Kent.  We had gotten to this one AltaMount pass and I said, Isn't this the ugliest scene? and Robert laughed cuz he was just getting ready to say, Isn't this beautiful?  Funny how we both see things differently but of course he grew up in the desert.

                                       And then I saw this sign on the side of a store...oh joy.
We had a lovely time talking together, eating out at a lovely Italian restaurant and afterwards we met with Jeremy and Lizzy.  We used one of Hank's car to drive there and that was nice.

Tuesday was Oskar's first day of Preschool.  He goes to school from 1 to 6 pm...I found that really strange.  He seemed perfectly fine to have his mom leave him but when Marissa returned for him at 6 he asked her why she left him for so long.

After school, Henry and I made a lemon pound cake.  He really loves to bake and cook and is very efficient.  Plus he loves anything LEMON.

This is the shish kabob that Henry had in his Tuesday lunch.  Marissa is creative even in lunches.

Here's Monday's sandwich

I spent some time making and freezing meals for Marissa to use after we leave. I made 8 meals so she should be in good shape til Hank returns.  It is so strange to shop in Safeway...things are set up so differently for what I'm used to so I spend too much time finding things.  And then usually I forget to take Marissa's tote bags and don't like to pay for bags so we toss the purchases in the car and then get the totes from Marissa when we get back and then load the stuff into the totes, then into the house.  This happened several times.

Finally it was our last day in Livermore.  I managed to get Marissa to agree to take us to downtown and visit a few shops. It's a great city with super stores.  I went into a quilt store and they did have the Row by Row Experience but somehow the organization had lost their email so they were not listed as participating.  I chose to buy their last year panel because this year was about camping and well, let's face it, I'm not a camper.

There was a cowboy store and Robert got this wonderful straw will keep the sun off his neck and out of his eyes.  He also bought a beaded belt.
We ate lunch at the First Street Ale House and the burgers were HUGE! It was a lovely last meal out.

Henry and Oskar and I made cinnamon rolls before we left.  They are such great helpers.  I had been doing laundry in the garage and the garage was so nice and warm and the dough raised quite quickly.

And then it was time to order the Uber car.  I was all packed, laundry all done.  It seemed so hard to leave this group of family cuz they are so far away.  FaceTime does help but not enough. I so miss having them in Lakewood, OH.  I honestly don't know how Marissa will be able to do this on her own. These are wild Indian braves who need a lot of busy time and attention. It has to wear her out.  Hank did buy a Wii so that Henry and I could play tougher and I hope when he gets home he can sort out how we can play together across the continent. It is possible.

Our first Uber experience was wonderful.  Much easier on Marissa if we hired the car vs her taking us to the airport.  We took the redeye home with 2 toddlers who SCREAMED bloody murder just about the whole 5 hours. Jill met us at the airport and brought us home. That was so kind of her cuz it was like 6am and she had a full day ahead of her helping Teri pack up to move.

We came home, slept for 3 hours and got Niko from Paws and then just tried to get on east coast time. I stayed awake but Robert kept napping.

It was a wonderful week and I was very grateful to Hank for buying us the tickets and letting us come out while he was gone.

PS  and in October this picture came through. Here is Simon loving the skeleton as he watched TV:

No comments:

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner