Saturday, July 09, 2016

The Allen Theater

Our Broadway Season came to an end tonight with a performance of Steel Magnolias at the Allen Theater.  We haven't seen a show there since it's remodel but it was oh so worth it.  Daphne asked if we would cry.  I said, "Oh no.  No Julia Roberts to make us cry."  But then in the final act, I was crying..not for the show but in worrying about  Dawn whose doctor has found a lump in her breast and she has already had the comprehensive exams and on the 22nd of this month she will have a biopsy. Then I heard Daphne sniffling as well...for Dawn or for her own daughter who often is in Africa?  Who knows...but we both cried.  It was a lovely play.

The foyer, or should I say rotunda, was spectacular. We had arrived early so we walked all around.





The stage was easily viewed from all seats.

And the set up outside the theater itself was fun...right out of the beauty parlor.  This is the best line from the show...and we've used it since we saw the movie years ago.  I so remember these large hair dryers that you sat under with either brush (which hurt) rollers or magnetic ones  (which made your hair very sleek).


What made me smile was remembering all the times my mom and grandmother would go to Rosell Beauty Parlor on Ridge Road in Parma...every Friday.  They'd get their hair done and a manicure as well.  It was the highlight of my day to be able to go pick out a color of polish .  If the bottle was low I'd always shake it up so it looked like it was full.  My grandmother ALWAYS wanted red  Very red.  I think of her when I put red on my toenails.  Maybe I ought to put red on my fingernails?


No comments:

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner