Sunday, December 20, 2015

Our Bon Lion


Our only baby boy, our Bon Lion, turned 33 on December 20.  We had hoped he would be here on that weekend but we were happy to have him for  Christmas. All this year I posted picture of our kids on their birthday and began most with baby pictures.  But this was taken Christmas  Day was a great way to start Jordan's entry.  He taught his 2 boys how to build a fire in Bonpapa's fireplace.  When I saw what he was doing, I suggested Pie Iron Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for lunch.  Some time ago when I was talking about pie irons with young Rob,  Rob insisted you couldn't cook in a fireplace.  Now he knows differently.

Making fires is Jordan's forte. He often made the fires on 'our' lake's beach, especially on the Fourth of July for my mom's birthday, and for watching the fireworks off Lorain and/or Cleveland.  This was from 2000.  With Marissa's help, the beach was always cleaned up and ready for us and our chairs and 'smores.


We were very excited to discover we had #5 on the way.  Back in those days there were no tests to tell you if you were having a boy or girl. BUT odd as this is going to sound in face of today's technology, there was this 'test' that I used to perform on pregnant friends of mine back in the day and so it was only right that I tried myself.  The items needed...one cup to catch the urine, one cup with some dry Crystal Drain-o (used to unplug drains), and be sure to do this outside.  Once the urine was obtained I walked outside, to the back steps at 809.  I poured some of my urine into the Drain-o cup and immediately watched for the crystals to change colors.  If it turned blue/blue green you could expect a boy.  If it turned brown it was a girl.  One of the girls was beside me watching but not knowing what I was doing.  She asked, "What are you looking at, mommy?' and after 4 daughters, I was astonished to say, "I think it's your baby brother!" (realize that the crystals will all eventually turn brown so I had to watch fast and watch in the open air so as to not asphyxiate myself).  Altho most people thought it was a silly experiment, I did not. I had done it on so many of my friends and it was always correct.  But of course, it was just a silly something so I still had to wait for the delivery to find out.

My grandmother, Gladys Holman, had been so ill and in Deaconess Hospital.  I so wanted her to see our new baby and hoped she would hang on.

Jordan was born on Dec 20, 1982.  I remember the moment when he was born...it all seemed so strange to be told we had a son.  Everyone in the delivery room knew we had 4 girls and all were excited for us.  One nurse kept saying, "Kiss your son.  It's the same as kissing the girls."  I thought she was the strangest things.  Of course I'd be kissing my boy, I just needed to catch my breath.  But Jordan was lovely. When the girls came in to see him, he had purple fingers and having just seen the movie E.T. they kept saying he was E.T.

Our neighbor, Dawn Kanary, called me at the hospital to congratulate me and then told me Robert was running around the backyard exclaiming it was a man child (another show we had watched on TV...Roots...apparently had him exclaiming to the universe that he had a man child altho he still denies this).  I called my grandmother from Fairview Hospital and told her  I had had the baby. She asked, "what?", very weakly.  I told her it was a boy and she told me she was so happy.  I told her to hang on and I would smuggle him up to meet her in a basket.  She was tired and said she needed to sleep.  And by that night, sleep she did...forever.  Nothing like having your beloved grandmother pass on the day your beloved son was born.  I left the hospital a few days later and went directly to the funeral.  Robert's parents had arrived unannounced the night before so on top of post partum, the death of my grandmother, Christmas, I now had inlaws to contend with.  It was a very stressful time.  (Dawn posted this but since the comments aren't included when I make this a hard copy, I wanted to be sure to include it here:  I remember that day. Bc dad came up to our upstairs bedroom distraught.and handed us, hankies or tissues. I knew it must have meant that Sah had died..and had to ask him...Bc he wasn't talking.and then we all just cried. But, Jordan did give us rather nice, trendy hair clips, with ribbons that morning.I think it was a Friday.And I was able to wear them and show them off at school. And I remember that grandma hatch made toffee. ON THE KITCHEN TABLE. that was pretty scandalous!   Dawn was correct about the scandalous making of the toffee on our kitchen table and that's because Marian gouged a chunk out of the middle of our almost new dining table)

   My friends had planned a surprise shower for us after their learned we had a son.  It was held in our home and it was a surprise.  A very kind gesture particularly since after 4 girls, we were woefully lacking in anything non frilly.  This outfit might not be frilly but to be sure it was classic baby boy.  And isn't Jordan just a darling child?
Life with a boy is a bit different than one with girls. But our family was now complete.   Suddenly there were new toys, boisterous days, new things to learn but it is all a part of life.

And what a life it was. Jordan never could figure out how to come home on time for dinner once he learned to ride a bike and had friends.  Several times I'd tell him 'no more bike' but of course there was and of course he'd be late again.  He was ill one day and I made a bed up for him on the couch in the family room and turned on IT for him to watch, a Stephen King movie.  Yes, he was young and yes, he was scared enough to come home on time for a couple of weeks....but not forever.  He knew fiction from reality and I doubt there was very much that scared this son of ours.

Jordan always had a sense of who and what he was.
  Having 4 sisters made him very comfortable around girls and young women and you can sure he was much sough after.  He as made a career in finance and it comes as no surprise.  When he was in middle school he made a profit out of a pan of brownied I had made that didn't turn out good at all. I was ready to throw them away but he asked if he could take them to school.  I thought he meant to give them away...but oh no, he sold them by the squares.

He used to make necklaces out of fishing spinners and sold them.

Jordan was always close as a youngster to my mom.  Robert was unemployed for about 8 months and I went back to substitute teaching in the school district so Jordan spent his days with my mom.  But he was also close to Bonpapa (Roger Osborne).    Bonpapa loves to tell how he and Jordan would play the Intellivision (and early game program on the TV).  They'd get out BurgerTime and before Bonpapa had time to get settled, Jordan would have yelled "GO" and be off, beating Bonpapa royally.

Jordan dedicated Bonpapa's grave and to this day, many people recall with tender tears of the one line Jordan had used, "Good bye, Roger, Old Friend."  It was a lovely statement of appreciation for his grandfather.

Jordan began his sports with soccer at 4 years old and enjoyed it through his high school years.  But he would run track to keep his legs strong for soccer season but he also enjoyed basketball. I think it was his senior year when both Jocelyn and Marissa were home for a game and opted to attend the game dressed as Jordan's fan club of super heroes.


Jordan went to The Ohio State University for his freshman year and then served a mission to SLC and returned to OSU.  He married Hillary Diane Kinkead and to this point, they have 3 lovely children, Lily, Robert (named after my Robert), and Marius.  They lived in Columbus, spent 2 years in Florida but because Hillary wasn't happy there, Jordan has gotten a job in Michigan because as he told me, If my family is not happy, I am not happy.  That's just the kind of man he is. And for that I am so grateful. There are many new experiences for them in Michigan and he will be somewhat closer in distance to us.

It's a good thing to have finally had a man-child.  If I knew I could have had another boy like Jordan, I would have but there was no assurance of that.  He is one of a kind.



  




2 comments:

Dawn Barrett said...

I remember that day. Bc dad came up to our upstairs bedroom distraught.and handed us, hankies or tissues. I knew it must have meant that Sah had died..and had to ask him...Bc he wasn't talking.and then we all just cried. But, Jordan did give us rather nice, trendy hair clips, with ribbons that morning.I think it was a Friday.And I was jake to wear them and show them off at school. And I remember that grandma hatch made toffee. ON THE KITCHEN TABLE. that was pretty scandelous!

Lin Floyd said...

How sweet to hear of your son's births. After 3 sons, I had a sonogram with my last child and they said it was a girl. I didn't believe the test and when he was born-I was right. Had to laugh at your description of the inlays visiting right after...lol! Been there done that. So happy you had a son and four lovely daughters. I now have daughter in laws and grand daughters! Thanks for sharing....

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner