Friday, July 04, 2014

Independence Day 2014

So hard to imagine my mom's missed 10 birthdays but we remember.  Went to the cemetery to honor both mom and bonpapa.  There was a flag there already.  Not sure who put it there, perhaps the cemetery but I truly doubt that.  Perhaps Paula. Which was very nice.  It's hard to have a party/parade without thinking of mom.  Next time I go I will need to clean and shine the headstone.  Haven't done that since the horrible winter has passed.
Photo: To my folks.  Patriots both as were all my other dads

No parade for us.  No kids here to walk down Warwick.  And M2T2s all enjoyed a breakfast with friends, right along the parade route in Lakewood.Hillary Lovinger's photo. But apparently Oskar so wanted to march IN the parade but was guarded by big brother, Henry.

Robert and I used the morning to visit the cemetery and then on the way home decided to stop at Pettitis Garden Center.  Found a couple of different plants.  2 are tropical and will need to live indoors once the temps reach 50 degrees in September.
 This is some sort of fir but I can't remember what it's called.  this is actually part of the bush we bought for $20.  There was a smaller one for the same price, really small.  We opted for the jam packed one and Robert split it. I hope both halves live.
 This is the other lovely tropical one...Rhoeo Sitara Gold, or Moses in the Cradle.  It's giving the one corner a bright color, different from the luscious green we are experiencing this summer.
 I wanted this Balloon Plant, Platycodon Astra Pink.  Right now it's the balloon shape but will expand and become a lovely starshaped flower.
I've wanted a jade plant for some time but today I found this little one Crassula Jade.  Pretty red along the edges.  I hear that this is easy to care for and being a succulent that is natural.  Now I just need to remember how to care for these things during the winter.

Then we came home and got ready for dinner.  Wasn't sure that M2T2s were coming til late afternoon.  Poor Marissa is so ready to deliver this baby but he seems content to give her grief from the inside while the other 2 keep her busy from the outside.

 Robert never eats his corn on the cob like a normal person...he has always forked it off and has great technique.
 now it seems Hank has joined the fork corn removal. Obviously Oskar knows how to eat corn on the cob!

So we had burgers, brats, dogs, pasta salad, homemade pico de gallo, chips, and all the comestibles.
 I think this is the first dinner that the boys really chowed into.  Usually there's just too much to do and say and see.
 While we waited for the dinner to digest, the 4 boys went to check out a 1954 Jeep that Robert had his eye on.  First think Henry says when he returned was, "it had a flat tire, no steering wheel, no seat."  Hank then added, "no engine, no tranny, no front window (and Robert interjected NO WINDOWS AT ALL TO BOTHER WITH)....and he got them down to $2500."  Yes, well that's not going to happen.

We finished the day eating watermelon, tossing balls, playing games with Henry in the basement.  Marissa took a little nap after the dinner proper and I hope it gets her through the night.

We heard from all the kids and skyped with Jordan and family.  I do so love technology for this purpose.

Happy 4th of July all...no matter what happens in the US or what has occurred, it's important to remember that this is the land of the free, once preserved for our time which means we have huge shoes to fill in being as dedicated to freedom as the founding fathers were.  As Robert and I watched '1776' again this afternoon, we saw the dedication and determination of those men.  I can understand why lately moms are putting their children on buses, usually alone, and point them to America from Central America.  They want something better and safer for their kids, even if it means arriving illegally.



2 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

we spent the holiday home alone but it was quiet. Daniel is down in NM visiting with his dad. No one wants to visit us when it's 108 degrees...lol!

Dawn Barrett said...

I love corn on the cob...and the 4th of July. I guess I would have to say that the 4th of July and Thanksgiving are my two favorite holidays!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner