Sunday, September 08, 2013

Salad


Marissa and Hank asked us to come and celebrate Henry's 3rd birthday altho Henry had already invited me, telling me that we were going to have Mac and Cheese Pizza.
Marissa asked if I could bring a salad.  Robert told me he wanted Auntie Carol's salad.
Well!  Wouldn't we all?!

Salads at Carol's house were always the best and always accompanied by Den's Dressing.  But for me there was more vegetables than there was lettuce.  And again....for me there
was not enough lettuce...I guess I truly have always been a Honeymoon Salad...
Lettuce Alone...get it?  Let Us Alone.

I called Carol last night to check on her (because I can only imagine her mourning) and
then told her about the salad, and how Robert wanted Auntie Carol's salad.
And what does she say to me?  "Well, you remember how my mother used to make salads."

Funny because I only remember it being Carol who made the salad but as I thought about it, it was my grandmother who started this, and Carol just continued.  My grandmother has been gone since 1982 and the last year of her life, she wasn't very well and probably didn't
make the salads....altho she made pasties almost right up until the end.

Carol's salad, my grandmother's salad...as she reminded me...is comprised of: tiny bits of cauliflower, broccoli, red and green peppers diced, green onions, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, and of course...lettuce.

So I made up the Den's dressing, whipped the 'poop' out of it in the blender (Dawn posted the recipe and said that Carol said whip the devil ...  I seem to remember Carol's not so polite other-wordiness.  So that's what I did. And do you know what?  It looks like hers, particularly when all the little bits and pieces travel to the bottom of the bowl...and at Carol's house, we'd lick that bowl clean. 




1 comment:

Dawn Barrett said...

Maybe that is why I make salads that way...with more veggies than lettuce! Everyone loves it here.....

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner