Friday, November 09, 2012

America

" Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail.  This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all nations in all the world.  This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, Men may fail, but this nation won't fail.  I have faith in America; you and I must have faith in America if we understand the teachings of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges.  I plead with you not to preach pessimism.  Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is a nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through."  Harold B. Lee

I was reminded of this yesterday, after all the hoopla of the election....and reminded by a friend who used to live near me on FB no less (where else?)  I did not like the election before we even voted.  Nope, I did not vote for Barry Obama.  I don't think he's a bad man, I don't think he was born out of the US, I don't have a clue what his religion is and that IS sad, but I had hoped for better out of him in the past 4 years.  I hope better out of him in the next and last 4 years.  I wI am grateful my mom showed me the way in this.  Long ago.

We chuckle today when I recount how she was on a committee to get the Three Stooges banned from TV.  Small thing? Oh yes probably.  But only because we look back 50 years from our very lofty places of knowing more....but back in that day, that absolutely stupid show was a total waste of brain cells.  But my mom was involved in the PTA.  She worked voting places, worked with the library, served faithfully in her church callings, and ended up being named Ohio Mother of the Year without even submitting her name (someone else did).


So I fight against things that I see as detrimental to life and limb whether it be Right-to-Life which I campaigned for so that Lorain County could be educated on this termination of life (and yes, I believe in cases of rape or incest that a woman/girl might not be able to cope with the results so that an abortion may take place...but I would hope I could be strong enough to give birth and produce  and love a healthy child), MADD, or work with good things like  PTO, local community women's group (Friends and Neighbors...first place I went to for friendship and service when we moved here in 1976.  Walked into their meeting 4 days after moving in...and am still with these wonderful women!), serving as a Library Trustee (seems an obvious thing to do since we virtually lived at the library with our 5 wonderful kids), and then there are always the callings and the concerns that we all get.


My girls and I were education in America...unlike poor Malala in Pakistan: a schoolgirl who dared to speak out against the Taliban's stance on no education for girls and took a bullet to her head as she rode on a school bus.  And despite her injuries and her recovery in England she still sends a mission to other girls to continue their mission to get an education.


My children did not HAVE to serve in the military whereas in other countries this is not the case.


I suppose I could go on and on, listing moments such as these but I won't.  I just want to remind myself and my family that America is still a favored land.  I rely on the words of that Prophet years ago, Harold B. Lee...to stop all the pessimism. Get involved.  Do something to change what you see as wrong within your area.  You just never know where it will lead.



3 comments:

heather said...

Maybe I should email you about this, but how did you balance volunteering with young children? I'd love to get more involved and am looking forward to being in PTO/PTA with Anna next year, but I guess I just don't know what to do with my children. Did you take them along? Were meetings in the evenings? What were the practical things you did to make it work?
Thanks for sharing your wisdom and being the example!

Lin Floyd said...

read my blog today on the statement of LDS church to OBama...

LeAnn said...

I love this quote by President Harold B. Lee.
I enjoyed reading your thoughts. We do have a responsibility to stand up for the things that we believe in. We must keep the faith in America and all it stands for.
Blessings!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner