Saturday, July 21, 2012

Musings

Years from now, I am not sure I will reread this entry and remember all the details that run nonstop on the TV but there was a shooting in a theater in Colorado.  12 dead.  58 injured.  I read some blogs, not as much as I used to (thank goodness) and was glad that almost all of them haven't mentioned the shooting.  I believe blogs are person things.  We write because we like to hear our own voice, keep our thoughts for whatever reason.

I never had any intention of going to see this Batman movie.  And the only movie I've seen at midnight were the last few Harry Potter ones...but believe it or not, even being basically kid movies, there were NEVER infants in the audiences.  I don't even recall 4 years olds there.  There might have been a couple preteens.  I'm trying hard to remember (I'm asking Pam when she gets home from visiting her first grandbaby).

And there's all this uproar about in the shooter, his rigged apartment, the families left waiting 19 hours to hear a definitive answer to where their loved ones were.  There have been a few who commented about the violence portrayed a lot in movies and how desensitized we are becoming (an excellent entry is from my own daughter, naturally ).  But as a mom and a grannie, I still just have to wonder why do these parents take such wee lambs to a movie at midnight, that movie or any movie.  Someone I talked to about it suggested, no babysitter.  Really? That's an answer for seeing a midnight showing?  It's not like it was going to be the ONLY showing ever of that movie.

Then there's the devil issue.  Oh yes, I am a believer in him as well as I believe in God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.  Two NaNoWriMo's ago, I started my thoughts on this topic but always put it off...I just might finish it this NaNoWriMo.  Who knows?!  I do know that once we open the door to him, it stays open.  And suddenly he's a permanent resident, maybe sometimes not a welcome guest, but he's a squatter.  And people just get used to him being around.  Desensitized to movies and books is one thing but when you start to realize what you've desensitized yourself to, it's a whole other ball of wax.

So dear Journal Blog, that's all I'm going to say on this topic.  The talking heads will do the rest.  I just want to remind myself...for the future....for perhaps NaNoWriMo.  Although I am not big on being preachy, and although I read through books and stuff that make others scream and run to hide, I do know what's out there.  I see it for what it is.  And Satan is what it is.  BIG AND HANDSOME, in appearance to you, to get you...but he doesn't want you.  Don't want him!


5 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

so true..the issue that is even more dominate is all the violent video games where our kiddies shoot and kill people for fun...it's not much of a transition to take that feeling into reality with a little added anger...so unfortunate!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

"he doesn't want you. don't want him." Great advice as always. Problem is, as you are alluding, too many people don't realize what it is they are saying yes to...or they don't want to stop and seriously think about it. Ignorance is bliss...until the consequences come rolling in! My post was definitely a "note to self" and I know I was instructed by the spirit to be "quick to observe" so that my kids, who are growing up doing frequent "intruder drills" in kindergarten will be able to navigate their world guided by the spirit!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

PS - remember when Grandma started a petition to get the Three Stooges taken off the air,because it was worthless garbage programming and a waste of time??? What would she think now?

Roger and LeAnn said...

I liked reading your thoughts on this one. I would say you are right on. I saw the last Batman and we left feeling really down. It was very dark. I have heard that this one is worse. Do we really need to wonder how easy it is to go Satan's way. How easy it is to see the dark side and then to join it.
Blessings on this one!

Dawn Mercedes said...

I was just saying this last night. Why on earth were there babies there? I heard a 3 month old. Really? that noise, those lights...ugh...

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner