Monday, February 20, 2012

feb 20...handwriting

I find it very interesting how everyone's handwriting is always different these days.  Yet I long for the standardized writing exercises of generations ago, all uniform and pretty much about the same.  When I was in 3rd grade my mom was not happy with the lack of instruction for handwriting. So she purchased extra Shaeffer fountain pens and cartridges and each night I had to sit at the table and practice.  I actually loved those moments.  My friend, K, at college used to tease me that I drew my letters.  She was correct. But that was then. As time and children took their tolls, I grew more lax.  Once recognized, I have tried to slow myself down and write correctly.  I know I can no longer ever write like Rebecca or Teri do.  I just have to be me. But for today's photo, I've chosen Robert...his is always the same.  These are some of the pages from his Valentines Day card for me.

I still love a good fountain pen and often wish for more. Rebecca gave me a book all about fountain pens years ago and I still have it, imagining the feel of those pens.  And Calligraphy!  oh Calligraphy!  How I swoon over a good written piece.  Robert treated me with a class in this at the community college when I was pregnant with Marissa.  It was so much fun and I still enjoy dabbling in it. I am not an artist as you know so my calligraphy is really pretty mechanical but maybe one day........

2 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

gone are the days of classical penmanship...

Dawn Mercedes said...

you are so blessed!! and replacing classical penmanship are all the bells and whistles and toys of modern convenience! I learned a long time ago that to type up something, could give me a boost. And boy, how do I love modern machines that keep us in contact, the world of information at my fingertips and new friends around every corner!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner