Monday, February 06, 2012

Day 6...dinner



Sadly, I am afraid my personality...very much the realist...totally interfers with how I look at my assignments.  Dinner.  What else could dinner be but dinner.  So as a huge stretch for me...there could be Niko's dinner:  

Or Absinthe's dinner (I know ... you gotta look hard to see the bird seed cup and water but it's there:


Or there's tonight's offering that Robert really enjoyed, snarfed it up and then said it's the best fish he's ever had...except it's not fish.  It's pork:


Do you recall a few posts back when I talked about the Shakers?  Well, I took out  THE BEST OF SHAKER COOKING….by MILLER AND FULLER from the ClevNet library.  I'm telling you, there are some mighty fine recipes in that book. This pork dish was the first I planned on trying. And since I haven't been able to chew on the left side of my mouths in months, and today was the semi-annual trip to the dentist, I learned I have fractured a molar which will get crowned on Thursday.  I needed and wanted some comfort food and I didn't care how unhealthy this might be. But we did have  brown rice and home grown and home preserved green beans.  The interesting thing about this cookbook is how the recipes are presented.  They all look like the following....just as you'd expect to find in cookbooks by people who cook often and just know their recipes. I will include the corn fritters altho I didn't make them this time:



PORK CHOPS COOKED WITH SOUR CREAM
6 thick pork chops
2 T prepared mustard
½ cup flour
4 T butter, melted
2 cups rich chicken stock, seasoned with salt and pepper
8 small onions, chopped
1—1- ½ cups thick sour cream

Before frying, rub each thick pork shop with prepared mustard.  Then roll chops in flour.  In deep skillet fry in butter until brown .  add chicken stock and onions and simmer covered on low heat 1 hours. 
Pour off liquid.  To this add 1 cup and possibly another ½ cup of thick sour cream if more sauce is wanted.  Mix well.  Do not let sauce boil after adding cream.  Sour cream should be at room temperature when added to hot pan liquid.  Place chops on serving platter; pour hot sauce over all.  Serves 6….as a suggestion serve with corn fritters


John Persip's corn fritters
3 eggs
1=1/2 cups milk
3 cups prepared pancake mix
2 cups cream-style corn
2 cups drained crushed pineapple
Deep fat for frying
Blend eggs and milk, add pancake mix and stir til smooth.  Fold in corn and pineapple.  Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot fat ½” deep. Cook about 3 minutes on each side  drain on paper toweling. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup. 12-15 servings.  Fritters may be kept hot or reheated in slow oven.

I have to say that Niko loved 'rinsing' our plates tonight!
And for dessert...cuz what Monday evening does not have dessert:





Frosted sugar cookies.....pink, for what else? Valentines month.

2 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

I wish you would come cook at my house...lol! any meal, any time.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You are the queen of dinner!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner