Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Open a New Window



It's January 3, 2012.  A new year begins, truly, today....in so many ways but the most important way is that Robert begins a new era at the mill...in a new office, new phone number (now that's sad) and new responsibilities. But it's also back to day shift which you all know I love.  We awoke (didn't swim since I've been really laid low with a nasty cold) early and jumped to it!  I prepared a good warm breakfast, packed a full lunch, set the table with a red plate and the Special Bear and had this song singing as he sat down.  It's one of my favorites...




Open a new window,
Open a new door,
Travel a new highway,
That's never been tried before;
Before you find you're a dull fellow,
Punching the same clock,
Walking the same tight rope
As everyone on the block.
The fellow you ought to be is three dimensional,
Soaking up life down to your toes,
Whenever they say you're slightly unconventional,
Just put your thumb up to your nose.
And show 'em how to dance to a new rhythm,
Whistle a new song,
Toast with a new vintage,
The fizz doesn't fizz too long.
There's only one way to make the bubbles stay,
Simply travel a new high way,
Dance to a new rhythm,
Open a new window ev'ry day!
If you follow your Auntie Mame
I'll make this vow, my little love,
That on the last day of your life
You'll be smiling the same young smile
You're smiling now, my little love,
If you wake up ev'ry mornin'
And you pull aside the shutter,
And you promise me that these'll be
The first words that you utter
Open a new window,
Open a new door,
Travel a new highway,
That's never been tried before;
Before you find you're a dull fellow,
Punching the same clock,
Walking the same tight rope
As everyone on the block.
The fellow you ought to be is three dimensional,
Soaking up life down to your toes,
Mame and Agnes:
Whenever they say you're slightly unconventional,
Patrick:
Just put your thumb up to your nose.
Mame and All:
And show 'em how to dance to a new rhythm,
Whistle a new song,
Toast with a new vintage,
The fizz doesn't fizz too long.
There's only one way to make the bubbles stay,
Simply travel a new high way,
Dance to a new rhythm,
Open a new window ev'ry day!



Perhaps neither of us have opened any window any day, let alone a new one every day. But it's a good start for us both.  Happy New Year to us...to the beginning of the end of his working years.  I hope he will be fine in this new position.  Today I get to spend with my godparents and that is a good thing.  Not a new window but with them every meeting is a new joy ... that they are still with me, that they love me, that they have a new joke or a new laugh to share.  Plus...I get to clean one more drawer.  It feels so good....

2 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

congrats-he certainly deserves a reward for his diligence and supreme responsibility...my hubby too who saw it through with a job he didn't like until retirement...

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I love opening a new window, but we don't have very many on our first floor. I just open a new door and the cold air comes in!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner