Tuesday, January 03, 2012

How to listen to the EDITED...NOT weatherman, BUT SCOTT NEWELL, REPORTER

Actually there ought to be a better title for this entry.  Something like:  "God puts people in front of us to tell us what He wants us to know. We need to listen attentively all the time cuz you are gonna need it."  But that is really too long.  So here goes how the 2 titles tie together. (NOTICE THE EDIT THAT BEGINS ABOVE THAT CHANGED THE SHORT TITLE TO AN EVEN LONGER ONE)

I am a Channel 5 viewer...WEWS, Cleveland. Always have been.  I will turn that channel on in the mornings just to know how the weather will be, what to watch for.  The past several years that Robert has been on afternoon shifts, I have avoided turning on the TV as early as I get up for fear of waking him.  But today, he started days...can I get a Hallelujah?

So when he left, I turned on TV, heard about the bad weather/snow in the snowbelt and listened attentively as I would be traveling to Euclid to take my Godfather to his doctor's appointment at 4:30pm.  The weather man, Trent something or other, was new to me...and very young.  EDIT AGAIN...NOT TRENT BUT SCOTT NEWELL AND HE I DO KNOW, TELEVISION-WISE.   But he EDIT...SCOTT was pleasant to listen to and I heard him talk about when a car goes into a slide, what to do.  If you have ABS, you are to STAND on the brake pedal. If not, then pump.  Personally I had no clue what kind of brakes our Prius has and thought I ought to ask Robert about it soon.  I couldn't call him at work cuz he has a new office with a new phone number.

So merrily I go, off to Euclid, Talking to anyone who will listen (really I was praying) and answer (no one did), being grateful my heel wasn't hurting so badly today, glad I had remembered I had winter crocs (forgot last year totally) and found them,  happy to have a good running car, but mostly I was glad to have had these godparents who have always taken care of me and now that they are winding down on their mortality, I am grateful that they need me. It's always good to be needed.

I always fuss about the winter weather but driving down I90 was easy as pie.  I just sailed along until I hit E.152. Suddenly everything was white and blowing.  My exit was next and I reminded myself to take it easy. To leave a huge distance between me and the Toyota in front of me.  Suddenly she started to swerve and then she did a donut or 2 in front of me. 
I started to slip a bit on the ice and I heard SCOTT'S voice/saw his face and realized I probably did have ABS brakes. So I literally stood on the pedal.  I swear my behind was not on the seat.  I watched as the car in front came to stop facing me and I had my car under control and just drove right around her.

My heart was pounding as I said a prayer of thanksgiving for my deliverance as well as for a REPORTER, who spoke the words I needed to hear, that I listened to and remembered.  As I drove down onto E. 185th, the woman pulled up beside me and was all so happy that I had not hit her.  I gave her a thumbs up and moved on...more grateful for more things than she could have known.  And as soon as I got home, I wrote to this weatherman and thanked him for this advice.

But ever since that moment, I have a continuing prayer going to heaven for the mercy in whatever form you want to say it took.  I would NOT call it tender cuz it was so not tender. It was forceful, and dynamic, and amazing.  But mercy is what is was!

EDIT:  YOU MIGHT WONDER HOW I GOT STRAIGHTENED OUT ON THIS REPORTER...IT'S BECAUSE MR. NEWELL WROTE TO ME HIMSELF AND SENT ME THE ABOVE REPORT.  I'LL BE WATCHING THIS OFTEN TIL I GET THE ADVISE SECURELY IN MY BRAIN.  WHY DON'T YOU TAKE A WATCH OR TWO.


3 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

wow, inspiration is all over these days-glad you didn't have an accident...glad to see you back blogging more often...

Dawn Mercedes said...

So glad you and Mary Poppins are safe! Esp. YOU!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Wow, that is incredible and an awesome story. I am so glad you and the car were ok! And glad that you paid attention to that weatherman! :) Glad you wrote him too...He'll probably mention you on the news tomorrow, so you'd better watch again!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner