Monday, July 18, 2011

Priesthood Moving Company

I just read this and totally agree. Thanx Kathryn H. Kidd ... these are her words, not mine...but as I said, I totally agree:

Folks, it's time to read the Church Handbook of Instructions. Yes, the new one issued in November 2010 specifically mentions that moving people is not a priesthood quorum function. Those aren't the exact words, but look it up, and you will see.

I had to move twice in one year, and I wouldn't dream of asking the ward folks to help. That's what families are for, and if they aren't around or available, you box up your stuff yourself, get rid of half, and then pay people to help you.

Some people say they don't have the money. This is why our Church leaders (think Elder Hales most recently) tell us to manage our finances and have a reserve fund for emergencies. This might be harsh and judgmental of me to say this, but there seems to be a pattern of people who cannot manage their lives and finances and are always calling on others to bail them out at the last minute. They seem to have constant emergencies. Yet they seem to have money for cable, smart phones and oh, yes, that big screen television that the elders quorum gets to move.

I am not talking about the occasional real emergency here where someone has a crippling health issue that is out of their control. I am referring to those who constantly abuse the system, take advantage of others' goodness, and frequently do so in ward after ward after ward.

2 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

interesting dilemma!

LeAnn said...

I do agree with you on the fact that many people do take advantage of the system.
However, we are serving and Inner city Mission and my eyes have been opened to so much proverty that is is just so sad. The economics have not helped the situation. There needs are for the basics of food and shelter. The ward we serve in has many needy families and they did not have anyone to help them if they need to move so therefore the priesthood fulfills that need. The priesthood is their to serve others in need; and I do know that we over use them for moving people; but sometimes there is no choice.
I will read the Church Handbook of Instructions; but right now I am working on learning how to help people who have nothing and need assistance.
Enjoyed reading your thoughts.
Blessings to you!
Living Waters by LeAnn
http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner