Saturday, July 16, 2011

Deathly Hallows, pt 2

Oh yes...it was a great/awful night...Thursday night/Friday

Pam picked me up at 9 and we hit McDonalds for our standard burgers before HP. Then we skipped on over to the Regal Cinemas in Sheffield. Usually we sit in the car for an hour or so but as we looked through the windows of the theater we saw the inside foyer already filled. So we hopped on out and walked in.

I had purchased the tickets for Pam, Jill and Mary Beth and myself on the first day they went on sale....June something. I stood at the window and had to make a quick decision...regular or 3D. I am not a 3D person normally but this time I figured we would all just have to struggle and endure it. I had read that it wasn't the 3D that things pop out but more a depth of color and perspective. Am certainly glad I did.

I hid the tickets in my usual hiding place that I use when I prebuy tickets. That way I always know where they are. I gave Jill her ticket and Mary Beth's on Sunday so they'd have them since they'd be coming from Amherst.

Immediately as we entered, and I do mean Immediately, the manager announced that our theater was open for seating. As we entered we were handed the 3D glasses. In we scurried and selected 4 seats and got comfy. Then we opened our glasses and were delighted to find they were special glasses, specially shaped glasses. They were Harry Potter rounds and at the end, I saw NO ONE turn them back in. We all kept them as a special momento. I wish I had gone down front when the movie began just to snap a picture of this huge theater filled with round-glasses wearing HP fans.

The movie was everything you could hope for as a finale to this amazing series. It was fun to see, even for a brief moment, all the characters (altho I still wish Richard Harris could have lived another 10+years and continued Dumbledore to the conclusion).

Oh the excitement in the room was tangible. People were all chattering and happy. Not a whole lot of crazy outfits...most were HP teeshirts of some kind or other. Some Magnificat girls sat next to us and they were in their Mag skirts and graduation robes, knee highs and headbands and they were super seatmates. It was respectful but loud UNTIL the actual movie began and then the reverential (my view) hush took over and so began the end.

I was concerned that Mary Beth and Jill wouldn't get there in time since Jill was actually in Green, OH, but they made it....I had to take this pix off Jill's FB page otherwise it would be larger. Pam noticed them first and waved them up and they came and handed me this very wrapped up, duct-taped package. I had a bit of a problem opening it at first but suddenly I saw Noah's Ark...and sure enough, these 2 good friends, who had spent 3 weeks in Kenya helping to building a school had bought me a Noah's Ark, hand carved by a member there. AMAZING! I love it!
Pam particularly loves the warthogs. Naturally MB loves the Lyons. Jill didn't say which she loved best...me? I don't know. I love them all but the ark with the dove on top is amazing but then so are the giraffes. I came right home and set it up on the end table next to the couch...because right now there are no little fingers to get it but when I give piano lessons, the poor animals and Noah and wife will have to endure their ark containment again for awhile.

But the movie and the series was delightful. I still do not understand why some people hate them. I personally think they have never read the books and saw the good in the story line. Some people are afraid of the idea of wizards and evil and a nonChristian view but I doubt anyone who actually give the whole series a try would have missed HP as a type and shadow, particularly in the final movie. So many books I've read involve good fighting evil and that is what we do in this world. Daily. I have attempted the Twilight series but the writing is not what I like and the romance is too juvenile for me but I don't say I hate it...I just don't read it, nor attack it, but leave it for those who do enjoy it. I will always return to a good swig of Potter.

Some of my favorite lines were included in this final movie.

Dumbledore to HP: "Of Course it is happening inside your head...but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Mrs. Weasley to Beatrix Lastrange: "Not my daughter, Bitch" which got a rousing cheer from the crowd.

Sirius Black to Harry who asked if dying hurt: "Dying? Not at all. Quicker and easier than falling asleep."

Dumbledore to Harry: "Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living. Above all, pity those who live without love. By returning you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed and fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say goodbye for the present."

Luna Lovegood (and isn't she amazing?): (after McGonagall says Lord Voldemort is attacking) "Ooh! We can say that name now?"

But truly I loved what was inscribed on Harry's parents' grave: "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

I am glad the movie is over and cannot wait to take Robert to see it. Plus my neighbor's daughter wants to go but she doesn't want to go herself. I told Sandra to send Madelon on down and I'll drive her. I don't care how many times I see this one...and I will see it again in theater and naturally I will buy it as soon as it comes out on DVD. I said to Pam that JK deserves every penny she gets. She changed the reading in children and adults for 10 years and will continue to do so.

It was a great night. I don't see a second series of Potter but I wonder if JK will write anything else and how it will play. Til then, it's HP forever. And another thing I loved was seeing parents bring in their kids. There was a dad in front of us with his daughter and 2 of her friends. Another family came in just before the show began and had to split up, could not sit together because they were so late...but they came together as a family and tried so desperately to find 4 seats together. Yes, HP is for families because it's all about families, all the various kinds of family groupings.

Thanks to Pam, Jill and Mary Beth for being a part of my night.

5 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

glad you enjoyed yourself so much and found good messages in HP. I'm not a fan of it or twilight-too much magic in bringing up my own teens and fighting against dungeons and dragons etc. but glad it got people reading...

JP said...

So much fun! Thanks for getting the tickets and getting there early to save seats!!!!!

Kate said...

Glad you enjoyed it, loved the review. Still anxiously awaiting my turn in the theater!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Wow that is an amazing gift...can't wait to inspect it in person!

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

We were with you in spirit, as a family: Steve and Rachel, Heather and Sam, (Sam's sister Katrina and hubby Gordon) and Randy and Rebecca.
It's been great.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner