Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Flanders Field


I mentioned to Dawn that she needed to teach her kids about Flanders Field (which is what my grandmother taught me ), how poppies grow in abundance over and around the huge field where the dead from wars were buried. Dawn has a lovely card she made in honor of poppies and I realize my car does not sport a poppy...I need one....and some in the garden...so that's what I will find today...Blood red Poppies for the garden. I need to record it here:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


3 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

lovely poem and sentiments

Jocelyn Christensen said...

We should teach this to Guy!

Dawn Mercedes said...

I'll see about getting you a poppy for the Poppins!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner