Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pickling Peppers


Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers;
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked;
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

RIGHT HERE!

As summer starts to wind up, altho you wouldn't know it by the temps, we are also winding up our garden. Today it was time to harvest the Hungarian Sweet Peppers and pickle them to enjoy during the winter. I picked and picked and picked. Handed over easily a peck to Darlene, my behind-the-fence neighbor. And we still had more than plenty. The onions used are also home grown.

This recipe I received from Glynn Urbin and she and her mom, Marian Buchanan, said it was excellent. Truthfully, I am not sure how many of these things I'm going to eat since they seemed to have increased from Sweets to HOTS. My fingers are on fire, especially my thumbs. But having Robert around to help made it so much better and quicker.

I have never had my nose run as much as it did today. And cough? I thought I was going to choke. I tied a dishcloth over my face and attempted to not breath through my mouth (actually stuck a piece of bread on my tongue and held it there....no! that didn't help either). I'd have to quit, blow my nose, wash my hands, continue...over and over and over. It was insane.

But we finally finished and are now getting ready to go see "Inception" at the theater. I doubt I'll be getting popcorn since I'd have to use my hands to eat it and inevitably the HOT would get onto the popcorn.

pickled peppers




1-1/2 pounds
peppers
2 quarts
distilled white vinegar
1 Tbs
black peppercorns
3 Tbs
salt
1 Tbs
sugar
1/2 teaspoon
cayenne pepper
6
bay leaves
1 large
onion, halved and cut into1" slices
24
garlic cloves

1 With a sharp knife, make a slit in the peppers from stem to tip, do not cut all the way through.
2 In a nonreactive pot, combine the vinegar, peppercorns, salt, sugar, cayenne, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the vegetables wilt slightly. Remove from the heat.
3 Using tongs, pack the peppers snugly in 6 hot sterilized quart-size preserving jars. Evenly divide the onion, bay leaves, and garlic among the jars, tucking them in between the peppers. Fill each jar with the hot vinegar mixture to within 1/2 inch of the top. With a clean damp towel, wipe the rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring. Process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes.

Yield: 6 qts



1 comment:

JP said...

You are wonder woman! Peppers are the best!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner