Thursday, June 10, 2010

Service

This morning I found myself meditating on the idea of service and actually found myself writing down what came to me in a rather old journal. I won't bother with the whole idea here but I was reminded that we serve others in ways that will benefit THEM and not just US. We serve to aid them, not to pick and choose. Not to think we know who wants want and how. I was applying this to several callings. Jocelyn has a Service Boot Camp and it's lovely. She picks a project and you can participate or not. I think if all Service was instructional like this, service in general would be easier. I don't think day to day service was meant to be easier. Just to be done. I like the idea of the right hand not knowing what the left hand does. I think day to day service needs to be anonymous. Linda S and I agree that if you tell your service you've had your reward, don't expect it from any other place or realm.

I sent an article written by someone I know to my girls, just as a bit of info...not that anyone needed the message. In reply I got one that wondered why I only sent it to the females, and not the boys. I don't know...I just did. Maybe because I relate more to my girls than to the boys...who for the most part are in-laws and you know what that means.

Perhaps I oughta send the same link to the guys and see what response I get from them....nah...not a good idea since the first idea wasn't a good idea.

As I finished recording my thoughts I skimmed through earlier entries. Found a thank-you card from Swiss from her wedding/shower. A poem Jocelyn wrote when our dog Lady was put to rest. Baptism programs. Attendant tags. Odds and ends. Read a couple entries. I also am amazed just how much I do love those said in-laws despite our beginnings.

Oh well. That's this for now. Am awaiting the arrival of the new freezer. Pix to come.

1 comment:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I agree with your comments about service. I don't mind broadcasting for Service Boot Camp, because the point is to get lots of other people involved. But you know that. I just figure I serve the way I know how to best...and I'm not a quiet, blend in kind of person. I am not serving to earn a reward, so whether I am "losing my reward" isn't really of concern to me. But I know what you mean by that mantra.

By the way, I gave you a blog award...http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2010/06/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner