Tuesday, June 22, 2010

DISTAFF

Robert loves words. He learns them and uses them. My favorite of all his words is DISTAFF. As the online dictionary says:


dis·taff
   /ˈdɪstæf, -tɑf/ Show Spelled[dis-taf, -tahf] Show IPA
–noun
1.a staff with a cleft end for holding wool, flax, etc., from which the thread is drawn in spinning by hand.
2.a similar attachment on a spinning wheel.
3.Archaic: woman or women collectively. b.woman's work.

–adjective 4.Sometimes Offensive . noting, pertaining to, characteristic of, or suitable for a woman; female.

That last is how Robert uses it. He's forever telling me I shouldn't do something because it's NOT distaff. Sometimes it drives me crazy. Lately it's made me sad...not that he says it but because in my weak condition (which basically has always been such) I really cannot do what he's doing:

And what I feel mostly bad about is that I really wanted this wallpaper gone. It's lovely. It was expensive. It was installed by professionals. It was my mom. But it is not me. Robert would have been fine to leave it. Maybe not because he liked it so much altho he tries to say he does, but mostly because he figured rightly that he'd be the one who would have to do the time consuming work.

We had promises from people to help but my mother always taught me that if you want something done, you just do it....and in this case, Robert does it.

BUT...do you know what distaff is for me in this effort? I get to clean off the wallpaper paste. So at least that's something. So now that you know what I am thankful for today, I need to get back to my distaff work.

3 comments:

Millie said...

In my heart I relly want to come and help but I am struggling to even walk right now since my 2 pinched nerves are in a really bad stage now and I can't wait for my bacl surgery in Aug. to releave the pain....I can't hardly walk or bend right now. But one small advice...when you wipe down the glue from the walls, you have to use hot water with white distilled vinegar and a large rag or sponge. This will clean off the glue completely and it will prep the walls for priming...it must be primed twice before painting (2 coats). I can't wait to see the end results and I hope the scroller and the steamer helped.
0x0x0x0

Lin Floyd said...

thanks for a new word...I've never put wallpaper in any home I've owned but my grandma always did and put it up herself. Looks like lots of work and what a patience perservering hubby you have.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Distaff is such an awesome "dad" word!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner