Friday, April 09, 2010

Robert's blog



Robert always has great stories to tell but they seldom if ever get written down. He came up with another one this morning while at breakfast. Reminding myself that our time on earth might be shorter than we hope, and knowing these stories ought to be left for our family, I set him up with a blog

Only Robert could come up with such a title and for such a connection. Do stop by now and again and check out his stories. As with all blogs, they probably only mean anything to someone who knows Robert or likes to read odd things.

Yes, that is a picture of Robert with Francois Rabelais. Oddly enough, Rabelais' life certainly does not mirror Robert's in any fashion. But it was Robert's choice. It is probable that Fran├žois Rabelais was born in November 1494 near Chinon, Indre-et-Loire, where his father worked as a lawyer. He was a major French Renaissance writer, doctor and Renaissance humanist. He has historically been regarded as a writer of fantasy, satire, the grotesque, and both bawdy jokes and songs (MOST DEFINITELY NOT WHAT ROBERT READS NOR INVOLVES HIMSELF IN but during breakfast, he took this name from the line that's said in The Music Man...oh the things Robert remembers!!!!!

Maud:
Professor, her kind of woman doesn't belong on any committee.
Of course, I shouldn't tell you this but she advocates dirty books.

Harold:
Dirty books?!

Alma:
Chaucer

Ethel:
Rabelais

Eulalie:
Balzac!


Rabelais wrote a famous one sentence will: "I have nothing, I owe a great deal, and the rest I leave to the poor", and his last words were "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." Again, nothing like Robert. He has it all, he owes nothing to creditors but a lot to the Lord who is NOT the 'Great Perhaps' to Robert nor to me! But what he leaves when he leaves will be left to the poor who will be made poorer by his absence.

How I love this man...Robert, not Rabelais!


3 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh I love this part. I was a "pick-a-little" lady in our high school play, years ago.

Lin Floyd said...

will check out robert's blog...you are quite the mentor my dear....look what you started.

cherrystones said...

It's simply perfect! Reminds me of some people I know, minus the hats.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner