Monday, February 08, 2010

61 and happy


No shame in saying this...I love birthdays, and mine best of all. So today is a good day, a great day, a fun day!

I heard last night that Denny's was giving their Grand Slam breakfast out for free for birthdays (with proof of birthdate) so off we went. The waitress said she'd never heard of such a thing but tomorrow was the day for the free grand slams. I told her I knew about tomorrow but I wasn't standing in line in zero degrees when today is my birthday. I assured her it was OK, that we'd just go to the Denny's in Elyria. She checked with her manager who said he hadn't heard a thing about it but did know that there was something about it at the other Denny's so he'd honor the situation. So yay...I got a free breakfast. Connor told me to be sure and order bacon...done, Connor!

Robert is working afternoons this week and will soon be leaving. He gave me the t-shirt that says, I'm not dead yet....and you must remember how I love Spamalot and that song in particular. I've wanted one of these tees for years, since we saw Spamalot in Cleveland.

Dawn and family gave me a two-sided mirror which I have also wanted for a long time (now I can MAYBE pluck my own eyebrows), a lovely nightgown (and Robert's happy since he said the one I often wear is long in the tooth), and a huge tube of Burt'sBees facial cleanser since mine was taken away from me by the air people when I was returning from St. Thomas last summer....guess it wasn't regulation size, sniff sniff. Cara had her friend bring me a bag of popcorn but Christy wouldn't say what the connection was and I was to wait for Cara. OK...Just talked with Cara and she and the family sent me a Fandango certificate online to see movies...hooray...particularly, Percy Jackson and the Olympians (no, I have decided I am not spending my Fandango bucks on Robert....I'll pay for him with cash...ahahah). Jocelyn made me a sweet pin cushion and I can always use one on this floor. The basket of flowers came from Marissa and Hank and it is so perfect for a snowy but totally sunny birthday (you gotta love solar panels on days like today). My sister sent me a necklace. Jill and Kitty gave me candy. Jill is great at finding these cards that sing. She happened to give me my card/candy right before church yesterday. I sneaked a peek just after the opening prayer and ALMOST fully opened the card. But then I remembered the card she sent me when I was recuperating and thought better about opening it. Good thing, too, since it sang out Can't Touch This. This might have been worse than a cell phone going off in church.

Early this afternoon the Wares stopped by.At some point at some home with friends, I saw this wonderful clock. For the life of me I don't remember who I was with. I was sure it was Ken and Pam but Pam doesn't recall it. Apparently I had discussed the clock with Holly and she did a search and found one for me.If you read this, and know it was you who had the catalog I first saw this, let me know. Robert and I both love toast...especially homemade bread that's toasted with home made jelly or treacle. And now I have one to always remind me, it's time for toast! It's always time for toast, isn't it?

Pam and I are going out to dinner tonight. Don't know where so that'll be the surprise. Several calls from friends locally, and messages from 2 women who had been my 'daughters' in a SheffieldLake to Sheffield,England student exchange program.

Back from dinner. Pam treated me to dinner at The Boneyard, plus dessert. She had the sloppy sundae and I had this mile high deep dark chocolate cake with layers of milk chocolate frosting. Delicious. Here are the sweet heart dishes from her and Ken....

Did I tell you I love my birthday? I doubt I'll be editing this again...so to all...thank you for making my day too wonderful for words.

10 comments:

teamk said...

lucky you! Happy Birthday Mom! I tried calling but...someone else must be wishing you a great day. You have always been an awesome Mom! Enjoy your day.

teamk said...

oh and check your email. As if I had to ask!

heather said...

Happy Birthday Susan!!!! It sounds like a good one, full of all the little thoughtfullnesses (I feel just fine making that word up) that make life worth it. Enjoy the rest of your special day!

Rebecca Stay said...

A very happy birthday to you from sunshine-y Utah and lots of love.

Renae said...

Happy 61 Susan!! I love that you love your birthday. May you make wonderful new memories with your family and friends!!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Happy Birthday, Ma! Hope you enjoy your pin coushin. I enjoyed making it for you.

Dawn Mercedes said...

Oh! I love your birthday too. If it weren't for you, there wouldn't be me! xoxo

Lin Floyd said...

happy birthday, today is my son frank's birthday too. He's 44, the 60s have been my best decade so far!

Nikki said...

I love the toast clock! I am glad your day was happy!

marissa said...

i...love...that...toast clock! looks like you had a good day! love ya.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner