Wednesday, September 30, 2009

THE TWLIGHT ZONE-50 years later

















"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition , and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone.' " Rod Serling


I loved The Twilight Zone as a kid...hey, I love The Twilight Zone as an oldster. I loved the feeling it gave me. And today I think that zone is in my kitchen bedroom....no seriously. I love that show.

My favorite was the couple's whose car breaks down and while it is being repaired they sit at a diner and a devil headed fortune machine gives them direction and fear. That couple finally breaks free of the devil machine and head out of time, while another couple, too fearful quickly dart into the diner, and head for that same table. Controlled by the devil himself, through the machine.

But there were others equally enticing...So what was your favorite Twilight Zone?

PS...Friday, the 50th anniversary...SyFy Channel will broadcast a 15-show marathon Friday. Rod's wife, Carol, has said, "Through parable and suggestion, he could make points that he couldn't make on straight television because there were too many sacred cows and sponsors and people who said you couldn't do that...referring to networks' reluctance to deal with contemporary issues in it's prime-time programming (typical of the day? Ozzie and Harriet, Make Room for Daddy). Rod wrote 92 of the 156 episodes from the original series, and other contributors included Richard Matheson and Ray Bradbury.

5 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

It was a different day and time. I remember the Twilight Zone but I still don't like scary shows of anytime. Think I watched Alfred Hitchcocks mysteries and that was about it.

Millie said...

I remember the one episode where ailens came from another space travel and these aliens looked normal but they all had 3 eyes instead of 2. They covered their third eye with a brimed hat that covered their forhead and thats where the third eye was locked at. That was very good.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

My favorite is when at midnight everyone looks on the outside how they look on the inside...creepy and awesome!

JP said...

THE ONLY episode I watched (cuz I got too freaked out) was when they were on an airplane and they looked out the window of the plane (while it was flying) and saw something on the wing....creepy..........i can't even think of the details since i've tried to block it for so many years. Not sure I'll partake in the marathon.

marissa said...

two favorites:

one will always be the talking tina episode, where there's this doll who is super demented and ends up killing the dad of the family who tried to kill her (by squishing her head ina vise) because she was evil. FREAKY!

and the other will always be the one where the kid puts his parents in a kind of petting zoo. that's all i remember of that one.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner