Monday, August 24, 2009

larry


remember Larry and his wife melissa? i had written about them a number of months ago. i had dawn email them so they knew why this broken body wouldn't be getting in touch with them for a time. i had suffered the 2nd fall, 2nd set of broken bones, and was awaiting the next surgery. to say i was miserable and sad and pouty is an understatement. and i just couldn't shake the morose.

lucky for me, larry called, got the scoop and then asked....
"susan. do you remember what the Lord said to Joseph?" of course i did. i don't think he believed me because he asked me to tell him. so i paraphrased: i have descended below all things, now suck it up!"

again i don't think larry thought he heard me right or couldn't believe his ears. "what?" he asks...and i repeated this. i could hear him....unsure, unbelieving. then he told me to wait while he got out the scriptures, then he read: My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well......

at which point i interrupted with "see...suck it up!" larry repeated his reading and i kept telling him that to me, i could hear the Lord tell me to knock it off, to suck it up.

larry continued "And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands."

i could continue to chuckle at larry's great effort to help me by commenting that my foes at this time seem to be age, clutzy-ness, steps, and lack of balance.

but altho my 'version' reads "suck it up", i know that truth rang out that night in that phrase as well as in the last.....my friends and family have been so wonderful by standing beside and behind me, struggling to get me out the doors and down the steps in a wheel chair, making sure i have help once a day to get to the bathroom when robert's been at work, preparing meals and treats, calling ne, and adding their prayers to heaven's own wailing wall in my behalf.

that was my turning point...time to liken the wise words and suck it up. it's only gonna be 4 months. i'm not dead nor dying. my family is grown and will continue even if i do not. i have a cheerful but tired husband who now does his job and calling AND my responsibilities. can't get any better even if i am very restricted. just about all my Christmas/birthday gifts for 2009 are bought and wrapped. life is good. so....i will now put down this pencil which is helping me type this entry, suck it up and enjoy my down time. thanx 2 all of you.

5 comments:

Benjamin said...

Hey - you'll get better! Might as well enjoy the down-time, know that you're loved and well taken care of, and get some good reading in!

Millie said...

If it wasn't for those words I would of never made it through my foot surgery. Sometimes these things happen because either we need to learn something very important (spiritual) that we are missing over and over again...or God just wants us to stop from all our labors and come unto Him. We often get so distracted from everything around us we often forget to keep in touch with Him... on a one to one bases. Count your many blessings, it could of always been worse...like 2 broken legs.

Lin said...

there is a silver lining behind every cloud and blessing to gain...patience, humility, etc. Hang in there....

JP said...

Great post!

Kate said...

Suck it up, endure it well, whichever it is, I'm glad you shared. I definitely needed reminding at this time in my life.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner