Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Monday

Another Mother's Day is over. It was such a pretty day here in Zion Ohio....I skipped the breakfast in bed because I knew Niko would want to share it and as anyone who knows me knows...I DO NOT SHARE ANYTHING ON MOTHER'S DAY.

Funny thing about that...I made that same rule for my children on their birthdays. No one had to share a toy or game on their day....sharing could wait til the next day. Usually the kids did share but they knew they didn't have to and with special things, like a bike or skateboard, or treasured something or other, they did enjoy it to themselves for the day.

I wore a lovely corsage that Guy picked out. Enjoyed talking to each of my children. Have a lovely wallet for my trip that is flat and easy to tuck into a purse. Now I get to search of Amazon to use up a coupon. Church was good with the seminary students finishing out their year by talking about various women/mother's in the scriptures and all mentioned their moms as well. The last spoke about the widow of Naim and his was an excellent comparison of her sacrifice/needs/son/blessings and women today. So it was an enjoyable service. The small children stood to sing a couple of Primary songs including my favorite...I Often Go Walking...and naturally, suddenly, without notice, I burst into tears. Luck for me, Diane whipped out a tissue. I was scanning the faces of the children I knew and suddenly remembered how I used to look for my own children up there...and alas, they are no longer little children in Primary, singing to me. And then I thought of my mom and how I missed her. Hence...the tears.

Robert got the dinner ready. We rested. We talked with friends/family. It was nice.

I thought about a conversation I had with Cara...and a blog entry by a friend who doesn't care fo Mother's Day because she hates the idea of the perfect mom. And who is. I asked my children what they remembered about Sunday mornings in our home. Some funny answers. Cara remembers really missing the whole pair of shoes one Sunday.

Wait...here's how our Sunday evening Chat went in this topic (And if/when you get to the bottom, the part about me picking up the man walking in the rain...I did do that. Even at the time I thought it was a strange thing for me to do. But I had this feeling I ought to do it. Was it entertaining angels unawares...? despite the pipe? We just never did pick up strangers):

8:29:42 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
I remember that CARA ALWAYS had one shoe missing
5/10/2009
8:29:47 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and I ALWAYS had to go hunt for it
5/10/2009
8:29:53 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
but that was when we were really young
5/10/2009
8:30:05 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
All I remember is there was a certain TIME we needed to be in the car NO MATTER WHAT.































































5/10/2009
8:31:27 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
I remember "No one helping you peel potatoes"
5/10/2009
8:31:33 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
or you telling us to go peel potatoes
5/10/2009
8:31:46 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and potato peels being on teh floor and not in the garbage
5/10/2009
8:32:08 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
potato peeling was awful...too bad there wasn't PC back in the day, right Mom!!!
5/10/2009
8:32:13 PM
Susan
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes
yes
5/10/2009
8:32:13 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
Then we'd all be lining up to help
5/10/2009
8:32:13 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and i remember you picked up an old man who was walking in the rain, SMOKING A PIPE, and drove him somewhere
5/10/2009
8:32:23 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
I remember that vividly









5/10/2009
8:32:33 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and I remember once, on the way to church, a BIRD smacked himself in the middle of our windshield









5/10/2009
8:32:39 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and you had to flip on the wipers to get it off
5/10/2009
8:33:10 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and we were shocked that you would have stopped for that man and his pipe
5/10/2009
8:33:13 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
that bird committed suicide
5/10/2009
8:33:23 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
but it was a good teaching moment b/c we all saw the pipe...not that man
5/10/2009
8:33:26 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
and it smeared blood boogers on the windshield
5/10/2009
8:33:27 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
(in the rain)
5/10/2009
8:33:39 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
that was probably the vanagon
5/10/2009
8:33:45 PM
Susan
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes
it was or maybe it was the big Ford Econoline
5/10/2009
8:34:04 PM
dawnmercedes
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn, Jordan&Hillary, Susan
and we had to be sitting IN THE PEW, five minutes before tohe service started
5/10/2009
8:34:07 PM
Jocelyn, Steve, Guy, Scarlett, and Autumn
Jordan&Hillary, dawnmercedes, Susan
I remember kissing the Woodchuck wagon goodbye




3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You earned you wings that day! er someone did!

Lin said...

fun comments, I can feel the huzzle buzzle of your large family...now they are off doing their families. This was one of my best mother's days....

kimlis said...

I Often Go Walking is my favorite ot the Primary mother's day songs, too...

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner