Friday, February 20, 2009

Phew! It's Friday...

Thursday is over...and thank heavens for that.

Yesterday would have been my dad's 91st birthday. Roger A. Osborne. That dad. All my kids remembered, as did I, but I sure got struck with the loss....again. This HAS to stop. Despite knowing what I know, why do I still want my folks around, accessible?

I think what compounded my tears was that we have a furnace/AC contract on 809 as well as 3830. Yesterday the company needed to check out 809. Mike let them in last time but he had to be at work, so he just said we could let the man in. I know I still own the house but I have learned to let go of it being my house now that Mike rents. But as I walked into my perfect 809, and looked at his furniture, his stuff...I couldn't get to reality. I stood in our wonderful but tiny kitchen and marveled that I had raised 5 kids, 34 other tots, innumerable exchange students in that home, and cooked and cleaned in that kitchen. And now where are those people? All grown up and gone. I feared the house thought I was a traitor to it. Mike smokes so as I told Marissa...when we have the house back, there's going to be total repainting and recarpeting. And Hank's good at painting...but I won't even care who is good or not...everyone is going to have to show up and put the house back to our home. But the house is spotless and appears to be fine.

I just wasn't. And I had two conflicting events last night. But thought, I can't go in this dreary state. I got 2 calls for the one event and both were totally understanding. I thought I would be fine to sit and .... ? But then I got a call for the 2nd event. Lynette said, "Susan...aren't you coming? We have lots of food." I said, "Nah, I wouldn't be good company." And you'd have to know Lynette to know the tone and the insistence. She said very firmly, "Susan...get in the car and come now. Come now. We will wait for you." And that was that. They were waiting...these women of the red hats and one with a molting red boa. And when I walked in, it was obviously Lynette had clued in these friends of mine of decades. They gently lead me to the tables, to the chair, and reminded me that they were my family. That this is where I should come. All would be well.

And so it's Friday. And all is well. But I have families in so many various aspects of my past life who still continue to be so. I am most fortunate. I have friends who are family. I know young moms who aren't running around crazy trying to keep up the world just because they have children or incomes that might be low. They just plod along doing the best they can. They don't need to be heroes...they just are, by their very natures. And for them, I am most grateful. Thank you my heroes. You know who and what you are!

9 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Guy really enjoyed puzzling with you online yesterday...I'm glad your friends made you go out. I made myself go see friends last night too!

Lin said...

you can't fall apart, your world revolves around you-your hubby, your daughters and their families...it's a great hub of family coming and growing and leaving for a while...you are blessed to have homes that you grew up in so close-most of us don't have a home/house to remember or count on. Just keep treking...others look to you as their gremhog star...

Dawn Mercedes said...

Happy Friday!

Millie said...

I LOVE YOU SUSAN!!!

I ALSO HAD GRAMPA ON MY MIND YESTERDAY AND YES I ALSO CRIED FOR NOT SEEING HIM SITTING IN HIS BLUE RECLINER. EVERY TIME I GO TO MY GUEST ROOM I VISUALIZE HIM THERE READING HIS SCRIPTURES. IT IS ALSO HARD FOR ME NOT HAVING THE OSBOERNE'S AND SAMMY.

CAN WE DO SOMETHING TOGETEHR TO BRIGHTEN OUR DAY?

LET ME KNOW.

Kate said...

We missed you at recipe club, but I'm glad to hear you skipped the movie and met with your girlfriends! How blessed you are to have them.

marissa said...

hey, you know what would go well here? that old photo of jordan and jocelyn and cara all wearing yellow rain ponchos, barefoot in the rain, jumping up and down and jordan's mouth is open like he's singing, and jocelyn is cracking up and holding her rubber ducky. do you have that photo around? i love that one.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I haven't seen that photo around...I'm pretty sure I don't have it...would love to see it too.

Dawn Mercedes said...

I don't have any pix from the growing up years...except the ones J and steve put on my christmas cd. boohoo

kimlis said...

I miss the Osbornes HT every first Wednesday of every month for years and years and years. They did their thing and I always felt we were important enough to visit every first Wednesday. Your dad only missed once in his last six months and I called to find out if he was ok. We should all be as faithful as they/he....

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner