Thursday, February 05, 2009

one last thought on INKHEART/DEATH




I realized I had neglected to post the following poem...but first, let me explain. I had ripped the audio version of Inkdeath to my iPod Touch so I could listen to it as we traveled to Evansville. I'm driving and listening, totally enjoying the story. When suddenly I realized I was missing 5 chapters of the book, toward the end of the story no less.

I certainly could not continue, totally missing these 5 chapters. Luckily for me, Cara's community library actually had the hard copy on the shelf...now why weren't there a stream of people on the waiting list for it? Well, anyway, Cara took it out for me and I fully intended to only read those 5 chapters and then save the ending for the ride home. But how in the world could I do that? I actually finished reading the story by book. And then listened to the story's end again on the ride home. And the final words were spoken as I hit the garage door opener and parked the car. What you don't get on the audio version are the quotes that head each chapter, from other books, other authors. This one in particular caught my attention and I share it with you today:

What if this road, that has held no surprise
These many years, decided not to go
Home after all; what if it could turn
Left or right with no more ado
Than a kite-tail? What if its tarry skin
Were like a long, supple bolt of cloth,
That is shaken and rolled out, and takes
A new shape from the contours beneath?
And if it chose to lay itself down
In a new way; around a blind corner,
Across hills you must climb without knowing
What's on the other side; who would not hanker
To be going, at all risks? Who wants to know
A story's end, or where a road will go?

Sheenagh Pugh "What if this Road?"

1 comment:

Lin said...

interesting quote...you certainly read a lot of different books or should i say listen to...

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner