Monday, January 12, 2009

MamaMia....Stage vs. Screen

I have always loved Abba songs. In fact, their Gold CD is what I listen to as I clean...I always have. Nothing helps dirt disappear faster than these fun songs. So it was with great anticipation that I hoped to one day see the stage production. Dawn saw it maybe twice. I was jealous but knew my time would come.

This Broadway season series in Cleveland included MamaMia but guess what? The movie came out before the show arrived live in Cleveland. But I did NOT see the movie. I was determined to see the stage first. And it was everything I had hoped it would be. The singing was incredible. The sets were perfect. The night we went the show was followed by a dance for teens so the audience was filled with youth and their parents. And we had rockin' great time. The sing-along at the end was total enjoyment. The costumes...oh my! The final scene when all 6 of the adults come out dress in silver...way too much fun!

So then the movie comes out on DVD and I still hadn't seen it. I requested it from Netflix and had just popped it in when Robert came home. So we watched in utter amazement and horror. Who in their right mind cast these people? Who in their right mind thought to have Pierce Brosnan sing? Why did no one voice-over him? Oh my gosh! This was simply horrible and trashy...compared with the stage show we saw. And people wanna buy this movie? Obviously their taste is only in their mouths or they don't have enough sense to see quality shows performed on stage. Sad. Very sad. And most disappointing.

But am I ever glad that I live close enough to Cleveland to be able to take advantage of the Broadway Series. Yes, we sit in the nose-bleed section but we love every minute of it. So if you haven't seen the movie, DON'T. Run....Fast.....Run Away!

6 comments:

Lin said...

i agree about the movie though I haven't seen the stage show or ever will. I do like the music of abba.

Nikki said...

Oh I wish I would have known that last week. :). We rented Mama Mia last weekend and I felt the same way. It was not good. I haven't seen the stage production yet but I am glad that it is wonderful, so I will make an effort to go see it live.

Renae said...

I agree. I saw M.M. on stage and looooved it too, so when I heard they were making a movie, I thought, great! I watched it and apologized to Eric, it wasn't that trashy on stage. I did like the daughter's acting, but that's all that stood out. The music is the best, but that's it, so I'll stick to the cd. :)

Shelly said...

I didn't like it either. My sister in laws thought it was the greatest movie ever. I just don't get it!

mom/caryn said...

Wellllll... at the risk of sounding extremely lowbrow... I liked the movie. I saw it several times. There were portions of it, (a large cucumber or hairdryer or something of the sort comes to mind) that I was a little offended by. But, I loved the silliness of it, the joy of the music and the beauty of the Greek Isles. My daughter and I laughed hysterically when Pierce Brosnen did his musical numbers. The look on his face perfectly expressed how painful it is to listen to him sing. So we thought his musical numbers were funny.

I have cried WAY beyond the mere falling of a few tears every time I heard Meryl Streep sing "Slipping Through My Fingers"
Her intonation on that song was flawless... and she has a nice voice.

Let me mention here that I was a drama major... I had a scholarship paid for by "Hoss Cartwright" to continue my dramatic training. I fill out a mental critique sheet on every performance I see... so I don't speak as a completely tasteless lunatic... or least I can claim to be an uneducated, trained, tasteless lunatic.

I haven't had the opportunity to see the stage production and I would LOVE to. In the mean time, I will continue to enjoy the movie for the parts of it that make me sing, dance, drool over some of the costumes, long to ride through the narrow streets of Greece, and cry when I hear (or watch) a woman play with her daughter's hair and paint her precious little girl's toenails as she recalls what it was like to share in her growth into womanhood.

mom/caryn said...

uhhh... make that an EDUCATED, trained blah, blah, blah.

I guess there's a yang for every yin, huh?

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner