Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holiday Books


Usually the books you read during Christmas seem to be sweet and sappy and we all love them. And we all read them, often the same ones every year (for us it would be The Littlest Angel and we don't care if it's not doctrinally correct!).

But right before Thanksgiving, Teri loaned me her copy of The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. I like Glenn Beck, I like the tones of his voice, his interrogative style when he's interviewing or even answering a phoned in question. I don't know what I thought this book would be about...but it was red and short, had some drawings, so I figured it would be just another one of those above mentioned stories. Boy, was I wrong. I won't give away the story but I wanted to add a quote from pp. 249-250 which had me thinking. You can read it and it won't mess up the storyline if you haven't read it.

Obviously, Eddie has met a 'storm' in actual fact and this is his question to his guide:

"Does everyone have to go through the Storm?"

"Yes, sooner or later. But no one has ever been lost to the storm....just lost IN IT. What most people don't realize is that you don't have to fight the storm, Eddie. You just have to stop feeding it...stop giving it power over you."

I am sure I don't have to continue with the thoughts here but you know what they are. We all have storms which we feed...continually. And it's time to stop the mealtime. Probably over 15 years ago, my mom read a book on child discipline and mentioned it to me. I think the title was along the lines of Change the Dance. We face storms with our children when they are young and battling to assert their own "power", at variance with the parents'. And parents continue to feed the storm, continue to dance the dance and things never get fixed. I learned to walk away and move on to other things. I need to remember to do this on days when I've had enough of whatever the day has brought to the table. Let it go....Move on....Find a new song to sing. But above all...we need to stop giving it power over us. We need to shake off the shackles that imprison us on so many levels and enjoy the freedom we are granted when we choose the right path.

4 comments:

Lin said...

great thought...sounds somewhat like dance of anger. if we don't do our part then the dance changes. wish I had known this years ago when dealing with teens.

kimlis said...

Like I said, words have meaning when you begin the search.... I'll read the book now -- I've been wondering about it...

Renae said...

Ooooh, I am intrigued by the bait quote. I want to read it now. Thank you. Sometimes I think the spirit helps me recognize I'm feeding the storm, so I can choose to do something different. Brilliant as always. thank you.

mom/caryn said...

I just barely got back in town. I've been in a somewhat "dated" condo in Bakersfield that had absolutley no internet access.

I've been trying to catch up on the last post of the blogs that I regularly read. For whatever reason, I started to back track on your site and came across this wonderful, wonderful post. I am so happy that my fingers stayed on the mouse long enought to lead be here. It's going to be read a few more times. I had decided NOT to buy Glenn's book. I guess I've let myself become disenchanted with his insipid babble with "Stu". I'm now quite anxoius to pick up a dcopy. I think it will make a great Christmas read for me... and I'm pretty sure I'm goiung to want to pass it on to my boys.

But, it's not only the quote from the book that grabbed my attention, Suz... It's your words. It's your insights and wisdom. I have learned to like you so much through your blog. You are a gift to many. I count myself among those who have been blessed by you.,

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner