Friday, October 17, 2008

ER's final season


Last night Dr. Abby Lockhart bid farewell to the series. I just finished watching it as I worked on a holiday "gift" for our RS Holiday Dinner....and wept. Silly ol' TV shows that I watch from start to end!

It began with Abby's voice reading Job 3:25 ... "For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me." And she proceeded through her last day...telling some, hinting to other, and doing whatever it is people do who have worked in one place and loved/hated that place, and then bids it goodbye. (Can you see where this episode took me?) I haven't ever worked in some main job to a length of time that made me sad/happy to leave it. It was that way in a small version when we moved from 809 to 3830. But how is it that we say goodbye. What is it like to have not been told someone was leaving, never having had the chance to say goodbye, or hug goodbye.

Again a voice over: Job 38: 16-17 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth? Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?...this as she walks past examing rooms where such incidents are being treated.

Abby stops on her way out to show Frank that he can, indeed, dance with his wife at their anniversary and then steals a stapler to which for once Frank turns a blind eye. Then she walks out the ambulance bay doors and finds 5 of her buddies standing around....Grady, Chuney, Sam, Tony, and Archie. Naturally everyone knows she's leaving except Archie and he's stunned. But she'd given him some advice earlier in the episode. After one final goodbye she turns to find her husband, Luka and son Joey, at the car waiting to whisk her away to Boston. (And I cried some more....I'm really good at endings and cryings.) And the final voice over in Abby's voice? Again from Job ... this time 38:18

Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.

Do we ever perceive the breadth of earth? Never enough! So will it be like this, our death? Will we say goodbye to some, hint to others, and skip more? and then do we turn and find those who we love waiting togreet us? I certainly hope so. I am going to miss ER...but I'm going to miss a lot of you even more. But I'm not dying yet....just missing ER.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I never watched ER, too much drama for me...but know that many loved it. Good quotes from Job, seems unusual to use on a tv show. The thing with death is very seldom do we know it's coming. An accident or sudden heart attack can prove to the surprise ending to earth life. Good thing we continue on and will see those who departed before us and those who remain again. What stories we'll share one day when we are all reunited.

Dawn Mercedes said...

I just finished watching this episode tonight. I think we are going to be in trouble with all these weepy end of series shows with each episode is another character and their story...ending.

As I watched the final minutes, I wondered if I would ever be missed that much.

mom/caryn said...

Well.. let me say to Dawn, YES!! You WILL be missed that much! It's an amazing thing to realize how much lives entertwine and what influence we have on one another. You may be assured that you will be missed more than you can imagine.

This post has a great deal of depth to it. I need to cerebrate on it a while. Dang! You DO have the ability to make me think.

On the surface, I'm always amused when it strikes me how emotional I can get over some television show or old movie. I get furious when my favorite dancer is voted off "Dancing With the Stars", I get a little crazy when political pundits start to bicker and contend with each other, and I cry and repeat lines from sad movies for days... Pretty crazy how we do that. Must be some sort of emotional outlet for some of us that stuff our feelings. Do I stuff my feelings? hmmmm... not sure. I didn't think so.

So what will you watch in it's place? Or will you just enjoy re-runs? They'll be running until at least 2035, I'm sure....unless Atlas Shrugs and we can no longer afford electricity.

Renae said...

What a marvelous post. I admit I have only seen a handful of episodes of E.R., but well done! We can so consumed by something, like a job, and to step away and/or actually leave it behind and realize how you're different because of it. I also love that they quote Job. Profound. :)

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner