Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Here's what Dawn found for me:

Aquarius is in many ways the forgotten 'water sign', with its name simply meaning 'related to water', and much of its symbolic signification emerging from the water bearer's act of libation. . But the free flowing water-symbolism of Aquarius bears no relation to the heavily pregnant ocean of the psyche as portrayed by the signs of the water triplicity; for in libation the Aquarian seeks only to cleanse, illuminate and purify. The ancients envisioned the floods that accompanied the sign's culmination and seasonal passage as periods of refreshment, when the land, newly baptised, was cleansed of sin. The month of February is so-named in honour of the ceremonies of purification that were held during the Sun's passage through Aquarius (Latin: Februa = to purify + arius = pertaining to), with society's attention turned to ritualistic purification of the home, body and soul. In being cleansed, we are made new again, and classical symbolism also captures the element of youth and innocence by identifying the waterbearer as Ganymede, the young boy whose grace and beauty so captivated the heart of Zeus that he stole him away to replace Hebes, the goddess of youth, as his cup bearer.

Now wasn't that enlightening? Do I believe it? Nah....but it is always very interesting to me. I like the idea of purification. I guess I'd better go purify my house and then start knitting squares for Teri's service project. I fyou wanta to knit/crochet, I'll be happy to add your squares to our pile.

1 comment:

Lin said...

very interesting, almost a religion in itself...i always read my horoscope but don't believe it...just do it for entertainment like i read the comics. but i know some people plan out their whole life with astrology. it was a way for the ancients to try and make sense of their world and maybe for moderns also who don't believe in god.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner