Thursday, January 17, 2008

Orange Delicious

Tara blogged a great entry on special treats she shares with Ben before bed, but after the shishkababies have been tucked in. But Ben's secret recipe was not to be share. But it got me to thinking about the Orange Julius copycat we have made for years.

First here's the recipe we use:
Orange Delicious
1 frozen can of orange juice concentrate
1-1/2 cups cold water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 tray of ice cubes
Mix in blender, adding ice slowly. whirl til blended....Our Bosch blender bowl (thanx Sophia) makes it perfect because of the strength of that machine.

This recipe came from Beverly Nye who was our ward/stake RS president so many years ago. She became famous first on local TV and then nationally. She disappeared for many years and last fall I did a search for her and discovered she had been seriously ill, but has recovered and is recovering, and still providing recipes.

When my oldest started high school, she had these amazing friends in band...all boys who would show up and play basketball in our back driveway. We no longer have windows in the garage doors because Robert got tired of replacing them and so they were replaced with wood, not glass. But oh the gallons, literally, of Orange Delicious that I made in those days. Anything to get those boys to take a break from beating up on the garage, the hoop, and each other. I don't know if I used more bandages on Cliff or more OD on these boys. But it was a great time. I loved it and love the memories.

So thanx, Hales...for bringing to mind a great recipe and greater memories.

4 comments:

amy said...

sounds like a great recipe...we'll have to try it out sometime. hopefully our blender will hold up :)

Lin said...

Thanks for the recipe and memories...I haven't had an orange julius in years so appreciate the recipe. lin

Kate said...

My blender gave out a few years ago but this tempts me to finally replace it. Thanks for sharing.

Emily said...

I knew I could come to you when Tara failed me!

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner