Sunday, January 20, 2008

mean



I bought a Simon Dewey calendar this past week (also a Jim Shore one). The Dewey is had for the pictures, not the dates (the Shore is cuz I really want a few of his pieces of art...I want them badly!). So January's picture is entitled "To Be With God" and it is now hanging over my monitor, right in front of my eyes and I think it's a good place for it. I don't need to broadcast how I feel all over my house but in this room, where I so often go to think things through I do need it. Especially today. This is what I should be doing and it most certainly is how I am feeling.

Last night I happened upon the meanest person I think I have ever met....hmmmm....meanest? Yes! I've known one more cruel but this one was the meanest. Everything out of her mouth was mean and unkind and so uncalled for. Her physical actions in a couple of instances were at variance with what came out of her mouth earlier in the evening when everything was light and lovely and happy (and PUT ON!). I came home and all the way home, I felt grimy. I felt stuff sticking on me. And I was never so happy to come into this room and look at this picture and remind myself that some people are just this way. I don't know what makes them this way but they are. And I do not have to be with these people. I do not have to be anything more than civil and courteous. I can stop their influence of me by setting myself apart from them as much as possible. And 'when the evening came, I can be found alone(Mt 14:23)....with the right Person, and good friends....and I can have peace.' The peace that only He and they can give.

Today I will not be mean in word or deed...not murmur....not see the negative (altho it is pretty frigid...only 1 degree F. now and I am sure to say something about that). Today Pollyanna will having nothing on me! And it will be the first day of the rest of my life.

3 comments:

Lin said...

how about loving our enemies...does that include ignoring them or trying to see that something in their life is really upsetting for them to act as they do. try the observer role, it works and don't get hooked by the mean barbs just watch them be flung out and go past you-not received. how does a mean person respond to genuine kindness and a listening ear? lots to learn from these kinds of people....

Anonymous said...

I agree that the internet, cell phones, etc. are great tools. There are bad points just as there are with television and theater, but those are choices we make - to use for good or not. God gave us the intelligence to come up with the technology so why not use it?
To communicate, to spread the gospel, to spread news quickly, to learn...

Anonymous said...

You don't know what they might have been through that day or that week. You said something not very nice about me on your blog once without knowing that I had been very sick with the flu for days before making your observation about me. Be careful what you say about people. They may have a hard time forgiving you for it. I know I have.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner