Wednesday, August 22, 2007

stephen king reviews HP



You know I love to read Stephen King. I know...no one believes that of me but it's true. I don't know what in the world people find frightening with his books...altho his language is frightening. But the stories are always great stories about boogie men and who in the world hasn't experienced a boogie man or two? One friend (the same who has to bad mouth Hershey's outsourcing) made a comment years ago about Mr. King not being a great writer. Well, of course not. He's a story teller. Story tellers do not have to be great writers. Should not be great writers. But oh...a story told good....um well....is wonderful. Escapism at it's best.

Mr. King writes the final article in Entertainment Weekly magazine, back page. about once a month. And his writings are so much fun. A friend had a subscription to that mag and would turn the issues over to me when she was done...but i think mostly she didn't read anything in it. But she's done with that subscription and I was delighted to see that it can be had online. So....please....to my readers...please click on the following link and enjoy his review. He's written another, earlier...and I ought to add it as well...

JK Rowling's Ministry of Magic

Goodbye Harry

2 comments:

Lorie said...

I read the article in ET Weekly! LOVED IT!!

Karen Ahlstrom said...

I also enjoyed that article. I think that the trouble I have with Stephen King is that I go through the world in a constant state of anxiety in the first place. A lot of things worry or scare me, but I've trained myself to put up with them by using logic like, "It's all right, it's not gonna hurt you, those things never hurt anybody, there's nothing to be afraid of."

Stephen King takes those everyday objects and shows me just exactly how they ARE really scary and malevolent, and want to GET me, and then I can't pretend like they're not anymore.

Seriously, after accidently seeing Christine at a Young Women's sleepover, I couldn't go into a parking lot alone at night for YEARS. I was in college before I got over it.

So, yeah, I don't choose to read the books where he'll show me just how scary dogs, clowns, and random strangers can be. I don't need that in my head every time I meet one for the next ten years. It's nothing against SK, I don't go see horror movies either.

On the other hand, if it doesn't stick with YOU that way, there's no reason YOU can't feel good enjoying his storytelling, whether it's elegant prose, or pulp. Just recognize that not all brains work the same as yours and allow me the privilege of NOT enjoying it.

email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner